Friday, July 04, 2008

Meet Adam Bender

I'd like to meet this kid and say well done. His story has inspired me.


Image by M. Spencer Green/AP, from here.

Adam Bender, 8, plays catcher, one of the toughest positions on the field with only one leg. Because of cancer, he had his left leg amputated when he was one. Adam doesn’t use a prosthesis, and only uses crutches when he reaches base for the Astros.


Michelle Bender, Adam's mom, told the Lexington Herald-Leader she appreciated the effect her son has on people young and old.

“Adam has helped other kids see that a person with a disability can be fun to hang out with, and play with, and they can still be a part of a community or part of a team. It's developed the kids' compassion.

“And if he can inspire even one family to allow their kid to try something they normally might not try, that's great.”

Having worked in Barretstown, I know the courage of children who have suffered from cancer and other blood related illnesses is exhilirating, inspiring and amazing. You can help just by clicking here.

Thanks Niamh for the nod :)

2 comments:

  1. What a marvelous story. It's kids like Adam who make America great. Unbelievable determination, drive, an spirit. I made sure my grand- children (ages 11 & 7) saw this video clip. I thank Adam for setting a super example to both youngsters and adults. We all have so much for which to be grateful. Thank you Adam and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam is such a great kid. I cant believe how incredible he is at everything he does. I wish him the best in life and all the great health he could ever have. He is a true miricle and he shows us with two legs how important it is to believe in yourself and go for what you truly want. All my prayers go to you Adam! From my family to your we keep you in our hearts and hope nothing but the best for you in life.!

    ReplyDelete