Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Talking How to blog on the KCLR 96FM arts show



A big thank you to the lovely Aisling Moore from KCLR 96 FM (Kilkenny Carlow Local Radio), the local radio station at home) who invited me to talk about blogging on Kulture Club, the stations's Arts and Culture show. The show airs tonight, Tuesday 19 August from 8pm.



Among the topics on blogging we discussed were:

# The definition of a blog - what it is and isn't.

I've never looked at blogging as an "online diary" where you have to impart everything you do day to day, from the clothes you wear to the food you eat to the style of your hair. Yes, there are blogs that do that, and some very well, but to a beginner I'd advise thinking of a blog as a newspaper written by you.

It's your thoughts on everything from politics to cooking, from reviews of plays to cool new videos you've found online, from current affairs to looking for advice.

Just as with a newspaper, there is no onus on you to have to talk about anything you don't want to talk about, or to feel you have to cover anything you don't feel comfortable with. The same way sports journalists rarely cover fashion advice, you can be confident in writing about what you're passionate about. People who feel the same will then share your passion.

# The "usual suspects" - who blogs
?
If you can write an email, you can write a blog. Anyone can be a blogger.

Yes, there are those who consider themselves geeks who blog (and very well too), but there are so many others. From waiters to people who work in shops, from photographers to cooks, from manga enthusiasts to web designers, from singers to authors, from journalists to radio presenters, from gardeners to people who just enjoy it, there's a huge spectrum of people out there at it and a huge amount of blogs to be read.

# What do people blog about?

When Aisling asked me to read one of my posts, I wondered how we'd fit that extra hour it would take in. In the end I chose this one, but I've also talked about:
where-as some of my favourite posts (that I can think of offhand) have been
and so on. It's what I do. What should you blog about? Anything you like, anything you can think of, anything you want to share!

# How can people get started?

For personal blogs I recommend checking out www.blogger.com (like this blog) and www.wordpress.com. For those with businesses and services in the Carlow Kilkenny area, I can point you in no better direction than Mr Ken McGuire who'd be happy to help you out.

While I'm at it, check out Ross Costigan's photography, Ciara's blogging here and of course Kilkennymusic.com

I'd also highly recommend checking out Podcamp Ireland in Kilkenny on September 27. There'll certainly be people there who'd be more than happy to help you out.
As I've said if you can write an email, you can write a blog. There's nothing scary or technical, nothing too difficult and there's plenty of people who will be happy to help you out.

I look forward to reading yours. Just leave me a comment to let me know it's live.



Kulture Club is on KCLR 96 FM from 8pm tonight. You can listen live here. If you do, let me know what you think. Me mammy will be ever so proud...

10 comments:

  1. "I look forward to reading yours. Just leave me a comment to let me know it's live."

    comment :)

    (actually i have two - one personal, and one for my writing - concert reviews, album reviews, music and such in general)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I missed the show dude, I'm smack bang in the middle of rehearsals for Smitten.

    Cheers for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet work Darragh......waiter blogs, the world needs more eh....!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tuned in to hear your interview Darragh. You were very good I reckon and gave loads of information during your slot. Fair play to ya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Darragh, First time commenting but I've been reading your blog for the past 2 months. I love your style of writing-you certainly have a knack for keeping me reading:) Keep up the great work, you're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for yet another linkage!

    I described it as a columnist style thing cept unpaid, unpublished and amateur.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and how long til you get a show of your own? I might finally get to hear you then!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love for the mention Darragh! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for suggesting people come to Podcamp Ireland - we're looking forward to seeing you there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, Sir. Very proud of what you're up to lately.

    ReplyDelete