Thursday, May 29, 2008

Getting back into movies

The last film I saw in the cinema, would you believe, was the Movies.ie Preview of Iron Man.

Which by the way was excellent. Darren's review is here. Thumbs up from me too:


Cheesy as anything, me :-P

That's been ages ago.

I love film. I love the medium, I love reading about them, talking about them and the extras on DVDs - happily sit down and go through the entire extras of the extended Lord of the Rings movies.

I registered with MovieExtras ages ago to see what happens on a film set. I collect the monthly Movies Plus magazine, I'm a member of the IFI, I'll check out FilmReviews.ie when I get the chance, worked on the Cinemagic and Darklight Festivals, am a Filmbase member and I have more DVDs than books - and that's saying something!

And yet it's been April 30 since I was in the cinema.

That has to change. I've been over on the wonderful Movies.ie site today and from now on this is going to be my first stop for deciding what I'm going to see. I'm really impressed by how much work has gone into this - the guys behind it obviously know movies and know what they're up to.

They've got competitions, reviews, preview screenings, trailers, interviews, forums ... it's a site I could get lost in for days. They've also got quirky ads:



I'm going to have to start with the coming soon page - and there's a number of ones I want to see:

  • Priceless (Hors de prix) - out June 13 with Audrey Tautou

  • The Incredible Hulk - out the same day with Edward Norton as Bruce Banner.

  • Prince Caspian - from the Chronicles of Narnia - out June 26. Getting rave reviews apparently.

  • Wanted - out June 27 - with Angelina Jolie and Morgan Freeman. Has one of my favourite movie quotes of the last while, and delivered in Freeman's voice which makes it all the more powerful:
"It a choice, Wesley, that each of us must face: to remain ordinary, pathetic, beat-down, coasting through a miserable existence, like sheep herded by fate, or you can take control of your own destiny and join us, releasing the caged wolf you have inside. ... This is the decision that lies before you now: the sheep, or the wolf. The choice is yours."
  • The Visitor - out June 27 is also one with a great tagline, making me think it might be worth a watch:
In a world of six billion people, it only takes one to change your life.
Then there's the ones I'm REALLY looking forward to:
  • Wall-E - the new one from Pixar. Cannot wait for 18 July.
And then, then there's The Dark Knight. What can I say about this, really? It's gonna rock.

Filmreviews.ie have the official posters here where I got this from:



Roll on July 25!

Of course I'll have to do a review at some stage of it. Won't be as good as Darren, but then again, he was never interviewed on RTE News now, was he?

(You'll need Realplayer for this unfortunately - blink and you'll miss me)


(Thanks to Jazzbiscuit for the embed code!)

1 comment:

  1. If you want to be on a film set, have you tried out the the extra roles in "The Tudors"?

    ReplyDelete